The 115 Empire St Performance Space
AS220′s Performance Space at 115 Empire is more than just a music venue. Our stage and galleries are an uncensored and unjuried forum, offering every artist residing in our small state an opportunity to perform or exhibit their original work within our walls. The Performance Space at Empire St hosts eight to ten events each week. We program all genres of music and a wide variety of events, including monthly Geek Dinners a networking event for local tech leaders to share ideas, monthly variety shows, drop-in weekly figure drawing sessions, film screenings, poetry slams, panel discussions and more! AS220 also hosts events curated by local record labels, radio stations, and shops including Tor Johnson Records, Brown Student & Community Radio (BSR), and Armageddon Shop on a floating basis.
Regular programming at 115 Empire includes
- Empire Revue: 1st Sunday of each month.
- Is This Jazz?: 1st Friday alternating months (Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug, Oct, Dec) “Investigating the outer limits of what jazz can be” A series hosted by Ben Shaw
- Dance party with ACCO - AS220 Criss Cross Orchestra: 1st Friday alternating months (Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sept, Nov) ACCO plays an eclectic style of original dance music influenced by funk, R&B, reggae, highlife, Afrobeat, and traditional African polyrhythmic drumming; led by Ghanaian singer and master drummer Obuamah Laud Addy.
- Free Speech Poetry Slam and Open Mic: 1st & 3rd Thursdays of each month. Free Speech events are hosted by Providence Poetry Slam group
- Free Speech Writer’s Workshop: Hosted by Providence Poetry Slam group on the last Sunday of each month
- Songwriters In The Round: An acoustic singer/songwriter showcase hosted by RISA (Rhode Island Songwriter Association)
- Drop-In Figure Drawing: Every Tuesday 6-8:30pm, bring your own materials and draw from a live model
- Couscous@as220: “A movable feast of poetry, music + performance by and for participants from the colleges, community and out-of-town” hosted by Mairéad Byrne on the last Tuesday of each month (Sept.-May).
- Traditional Irish Music: Free live music, hosted by Jimmy and Hannah Devine, with Mark Roberts, Andrea Cooper, Teddi Scobi and friends, every Saturday at Foo(d) and The Bar at AS220, 115 Empire St
All programming is subject to change, check our online calendar for up to date details and late-breaking additions!
Maralie Armstrong, 115 Empire Program Director
Email: booking(at)as220.org /// Phone: 401-831-9327
Contributions to the Morgan Sean Ryan Memorial Fund enhance the public programming at the AS220 Performance Spacel. The Fund enables us to bring well-known national acts and/or offer a free or reduced cover charge for events. Many of the bands we receive requests to book for a special event require guarantees to perform; donations to the Morgan Sean Ryan Memorial Fund enable us to bring these acts to AS220. AS220 is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
To donate to Morgan Sean Ryan Memorial Fund, click here